Thursday 26 March 2015

Reflection

Hi, Everyone!

I decided to just have a post on my general feelings at the end of all this. Now, when I say "this" I mean:

  • the end of the semester,
  • the end of this blog,
  • and quite possibly, the end of me cooking
I started this blog in the beginning of the semester to see if you can really cook as a beginner from a beginners cook book. Over the weeks, I have talked about the language used in the text, going from what it literally says to the assumptions it makes about the reader themselves.

The book How to Boil an Egg is geared towards people who have gotten to a point in their lives that they are alone and need to cook for themselves. It is implied that it would be useful to university students, but it does not limit itself to that. It includes lists of things one should keep in a kitchen (which is a bit too long for a student) and measurement tables. I have to say, the fact that the measurement were also in the metric system did make it a lot easier. Their were still uncertainties, such as vague wording for certain amounts and cooking time being drastically off. I  could blame the Roehampton ovens but I never got the timing quite down. My meals seemed to take much longer. Perhaps the total time was after you practiced a bit and got good at the recipes, it could be the minimum time needed.

Over all, what surprised me most was how I felt when it implied that I was lazy, and would be looking to take the easy way out, even though it's true. The past few months have not made me love cooking, yet the pizza recipe made me feel as though the book was making fun of me, not even wasting it's time telling me something I will never choose. Even though I am a beginner, and even though I am rather lazy when it comes to cooking, my pride was still hurt when I saw what little faith the book had. I truly believe that the cook book could have been great, if it had more confidence in it's readers, because now I never want to cook from it again.

Sorry if it got a bit dark there at the end, but I have had a lovely semester with all of you!

~Gaby

No comments:

Post a Comment